Partnering with Roseann & Randy Shaver in the fight against cancer

Randy Shaver & Andy Schornack, Flagship Bank Partnership 

Randy Shaver and Andy Schornack, CEO Flagship Bank

In 1998, doctors diagnosed Randy Shaver with Stage IV Hodgkin’s Disease, which is a form of cancer that targets the lymph system. After his difficult treatment sessions, Randy triumphantly conquered the disease and was cancer-free until August of 2018, when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Despite the difficulty of the obstacle he was facing, Randy braced himself for another challenging journey, in which he beat cancer for the second time in his life and received the news that he was once again cancer-free in May of 2019.

After experiencing the damaging effects of cancer in 1998, Randy wanted to actively contribute to curing the disease. In order to do that, Randy and his wife, Roseann, started the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund in 2003, which raises money to fund cancer research and prevention in Minnesota. The Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund’s mission is to, “support the cancer community in Minnesota by funding research, prevention, treatment and other programs relating to the cancer community’s needs.”

Over the past 15 years, the  Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund has raised over $5 million for finding a cure for cancer. Roseann and Randy pride themselves on running an efficient nonprofit that maximizes every donation. It spends at least 90% of the donated funds directly on various Minnesota cancer research and cancer community initiatives, leaving less than 10% to be spent on administrative costs. According to Forbes, the average charity donates 85% of their money directly to their charitable purpose. This means that the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund is at least 5% more efficient with their donations compared to the average charity. When you donate to the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund, you can be sure that your donations are making a difference.

The money raised isn’t handed off to an another cancer research organization or grant making nonprofit. Every year, the Board of Advisors, consisting of doctors and other local leaders, get together to review grants and approve funding requests. Doctors from the Mayo Clinic, University of Minnesota, VA hospital, and many others provide presentations on the latest research and how a grant will help them on the race for the cure. Local organizations that provide support for those in our community impacted by cancer also provide requests. One great beneficiary example is Crescent Cove, an organization that offers care and support to children and young adults with a shortened life-expectancy, and to their families who love them. The Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund helped the organization with grant funds to get bedroom furniture and other needs as they got established. A powerful early grant, Crescent Cove continues to demonstrate great mission driven activities and was featured in the New York Times Magazine in May 2019.

Randy Shaver Cancer Research & Community Fund Golf Tournament 2019

In 2017, Flagship Bank saw an opportunity to sponsor the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund and build on its existing partnerships with local nonprofit organizations. We have always been an organization that takes a view that a stronger community, a better environment, and prudent stewardship drives returns. We believe that the Randy Shaver Cancer Research and Community Fund carries many of the same beliefs.  Our sponsorship and a new MNStrong checking account fundraising partnership raise money to better our community. We can make a difference in the lives of those who are battling cancer.  Since the funds are donated to Minnesota residents and organizations, Flagship Bank knows that we are truly Investing In You.

Topics

Subscribe now to get The Helm directly in your inbox.